This is intended as a collection of materials which are relevant to themes of law and aesthetics.
Law and Aesthetics
- Vikki Bell, (2012) Writing to the General, and Other Aesthetic Strategies of Critique: The Art of Leon Ferrari as a Practice of Freedom, Journal of Latin American Cultural Studies, 21:2, 253-285.
- Eddie Bruce-Jones, 2007. ‘Surviving September 11th or Snapshots in the Dark?: A Critical Consideration of Two Professional Photographs as Portraits of Denial’, in Picturing America: American Studies Conference Series. Peter Lang: Hamburg.
- Costas Douzinas, The Logos of Nomos: Interpretation, Ethics and Aesthetics in the Law (with Ronnie Warrington), Athens: Alexandria Press, 1996
- Costas Douzinas, Justice Miscarried: Aesthetics and the Law (with Ronnie Warrington, 1994), Harvester Wheatsheaf, 1994; reissued Edinburgh University Press, 1999
- Adam Geary, Law and Aesthetics (Hart Publications, 2001)
- Peter Goodrich, The Scene of the Mass Crime: History, Film and International Tribunals (with Christian Delage). Routledge, 2013
- Peter Goodrich, Legal Emblems and the Art of Law: Obiter Depicta as the Vision of Governance. Cambridge University Press, 2014
- Peter Goodrich, Screening Law. In M. Pasche & J. Radul (eds), A Thousand Eyes: Media, Technology, Law and Aesthetics. Sternberg Press, 2013.
- Elena Loizidou, (2014) ‘Dreams of flying-flying Bodies‘ in The Funambulist 8th March 2014
- Fiona Macmillan, (forthcoming) with Aristodemou, M. and Tuitt P. ‘Introduction: Investigating Crime Fiction’, in M. Aristodemou, F. Macmillan and P. Tuitt (eds.) Crime Fiction and the LawRoutledge: Birkbeck Law Press
Law and Performing Arts
- Susanne Traub, Philosophy and Dance: Dancing is Thinking
- Franz Anton Cramer, Nature of Movement: The Blind Spot of Philosoph
Law and Image
- Judicial Images. Production, Management and Consumption
- Piyel Hadlar, ‘Law and the Evidential Image’, Law, Culture and the Humanities 4:2 (2008), pp. 139-155.
- Piyal Hadlar, Law, Orientalism and Postcolonialism: The Jurisdiction of the Lotus-Eaters (Discourses of Law), Routledge Cavendish (2007),
- Piyal Hadlar, ‘The return of the Evidencer’s Eye: Rhetoric and Visual Technology in the Laws of Evidence’ 2 Griffith Law Review vol. 8 n.1,(1999)
- Piyal Hadlar, ‘The Spectacular and Legal Forms of Legal Justice’ 19 Art History, 3 (1996), pp. 448-453
- Leslie Moran, (2004) with Christie, I. Sandon, E. & Loizidou, E (eds.) Law’s Moving Image, Cavendish
- Leslie Moran, (2015) ‘Judicial pictures as legal life-writing data and a research method‘. Journal of Law and Society 42 (1),
- Leslie Moran, (2014) ‘“Every picture tells a story”; picturing judicial biography’, Legal Information Management 14
- Leslie Moran, (2012) ‘Every picture speaks a thousand words: visualising judicial authority in the press’, in Gisler, P., Steinert Borella, S. & Wiedmer, C (eds.) Intersections of Law and Culture. Palgrave Macmillan
- Leslie Moran, (2012) ‘Imagining the judge: fragments of a study of judicial portraiture’ in Modéer, K A. & Sunnqvist, M. (eds.) Legal staging: Visualisation – Mediatisation – Ritualisation: Legal Communication through Language, Literature, Media, Art and Architecture.Copenhagen University Press
- Gilles Deleuze, Cinema 1: The Movement Image (1983)
- Maurice Merleau-Ponty, The World of Perception (1948)
- Jean-Luc Nancy, The Muses translated by Peggy Kamuf (Meridian Stanford University Press, 1997)
- Nathan Moore, ‘The Perception of the Middle‘, in Laurent de Sutter and Kyle McGee, eds., Deleuze and Law (2012)
- Nathan Moore, ‘Icons of Control: Deleuze, Signs, and Law’, 2007, International Journal of Semiotics and Law
- Moore, N. and Bottomley, A. ‘Law, Diagram, Film: Critique Exhausted’ Law and Critique 23 (2) (2012)
- Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos, A. (2016), Flesh of the Law: Material Metaphors Journal of Law and Society 43 (1) 45-65 0263-323X
Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos, A. (2015), Spatial justice: body, lawscape, atmosphere (Routledge).
Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos A. (2013), Atmospheres of law: senses, affects, lawscapes Emotion, Space and Society 7 35-44 1755-4586
Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos A. (2004), Beauty and the beast: art and law in the hall of mirrors Entertainment Law 2 1-34 1473-0987
Laurent de Sutter, (2014) Althusser and the Law (Routledge).